From hook to sewing machine

I momentarily put down my hooks at the weekend to whip up an outfit using my sewing machine (and whilst the Singer pictured above does work, unfortunately it wasn’t the one I used for this project).

I’d wanted to take on a more meaty sewing challenge ever since I stepped out of my dress making course back in January, however… solid (pause for dramatic effect), uninterrupted (a second pause), consecutive hours are hard to come by when working and looking after two kids and a husband.

With every intention of finding said time I purchased a pattern and 3 meters of the most extravagant fabric I could find. I’d spent £25 so I was committed and had to see this through.

I chose the jumpsuit from Simplicity pattern 8608, although I had every intention of making some tweaks to the design (I’m not a floaty sleeve kinda-gal).

The pattern and this amazing grey tiger fabric are both from www.sewingbelle.co.uk.

Simplicity Pattern 8608
Simplicity Pattern 8608

I’ll be honest, my excitement soon waned when I opened up the pattern and realised I had a lot of cutting out to do, but once I got stuck into it the time soon passed and I was ready to start piecing together and sewing pretty sharpish.

Cutting out the pattern
Cutting out the pattern
Using fabric efficiently
Using fabric efficiently by following the guidance on the pattern

After a weekend of stealing whatever time I could I managed to finish my outfit, which ended up as a sleeveless two-piece, that I’m absolutely in love with.

The pattern was easy to follow, and I managed to complete the top and pants with no mistakes made, although there may have been the odd ‘intentional design tweak’ 😉

The wrap top before it was hemmed
The wrap top before it was hemmed
The finished two piece
The finished two piece. Hoorah!

The changes that I made to the pattern were:

  1. I decided I didn’t want to add a sleeve, so I put a simple narrow hem on the top instead
  2. I realised that I wouldn’t actually be able to get into the jumpsuit if I sewed the top and pants together, so I settled for a two piece – and I’m glad of this, because now I can wear the pants as a co-ord suit or with another top
  3. Because the pants were no longer going to be held up by the top I fashioned some belt hoops and stitched these around the waist band for the belt tie to run through
  4. I didn’t add pockets to the pants – this was a little lazy of me, but at the time I wasn’t overly bothered about having pockets (I’m not sure why – I take great delight in pockets generally)

Proud moments: 

  1. Feeling confident with reading and understanding the pattern, thanks to my dress making course (which was run by Ministry of Craft)
  2. Successfully putting the darts in the correct place, and evenly on both sides
  3. Making pants! I’ve never attempted making pants before and I was pleasantly surprised by how straight forward it was
  4. Making something that actually fits my body and that I would actually wear outside of the house! <<< this is a big one

Overall, a big success in my view – and a luxury I’ll probably not be able to experience again for a while, as I very rarely have a free weekend where my other half willing occupies the kids for a sustained period without having to ask questions every couple of minutes. It was nice while it lasted.

Now I just need an excuse to wear this ensemble out in public!

Advertisements

One thought on “From hook to sewing machine

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: